Saturday, November 14, 2009

What's Happening?

What was all the huff about The Happening? I stayed away from it like I stay away from a habanero pepper at dessert. I finally gave in, and gosh am I glad? I think people were so thrilled with The Sixth Sense, and then progressively more disappointed with M. Night Shyamalan's follow ups that it became a habit for people to dislike whatever he put out.

I actually liked The Happening. I felt the paranoia the characters felt. Just the thought of what was happening was so scary! We're all scared of something coming to get us, but what if that something made us "get" ourselves?

The ending of The Happening was reminiscent of 50s movies that warned us of what the atomic age could bring. This warning is against hurting the plants, though; which is slightly lame. But the monster is not the cause. The monster is the symptom. The plant idea was just a theory in the movie. What happens is the scary part. If people started killing themselves because we ran out of chocolate milk that's still scary.

Blame the vegetarians. Stop killing all the bean sprouts!

And in case you were looking for M. Night Shyamalan in the movie (he makes an appearance in each of his films a la Alfred Hitchcock) I did a little research. He is not seen, but slightly heard. He is "Joey" on the other end of a few phone calls and texts.
Reminds me of Chris Simonson of Death Proof.

M. Night Shyamalan is on the line. Will YOU answer the call?

No comments: