Sunday, May 18, 2008

The brother is Grimly

Book • WICKED NURSERY RHYMES • Gris Grimly • 2003
Another book I found at the 2008 NYC ComiCon at the Baby Tattoo Books booth. I’ve been a fan of Gris Grimly’s art for some time now, so I feel ashamed I missed this one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Grimly’s art is ink and watercolor with a style all its own. The sticky figures are like haunted doll creatures from the pages of a 200 year old children’s book. The lighting and muted color bring a certain mood that draws you into the Grimly’s world. Once there, you’ll never want to leave. Delicious!
In Wicked Nursery Rhymes, Gris Grimly revisits familiar places, and tells the stories of old nursery rhymes from a new perspective. Jack and Jill was particularly clever.
If you like the art of Jhonen Vasquez, Tim Burton and Edward Gorey you will absolutely adore Gris Grimly! He is fave of mine, and I want to squeeze him to death.

No comments: