Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Frankenstein power activate! Form of astronaut!

Movie • FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACEMONSTER • 1965
What a relief! I’ve watched too many modern humdrum horrors lately. The silly billies who put this movie together should get an award. The Play-Doh make-up, poorly integrated stock NASA and military footage, and the ridiculous costumes come together like a yummy fruit tort. I devoured it in one big bite.
Okay, so Frankenstein isn’t the Franky we all know and love. His name’s been exploited since the success of Universal’s Frankenstein. This guy is more like a zombie-android astronaut built like a public relations Steve Austin who turns dumb after he blows a circuit. At one point when he becomes injured he reminded me of Jason Voorhees. And the monster he meets isn’t until the very end.
It all wraps up nicely, but the real present is the meat in the sandwich. These characters are hilarious! Sit down on a warm, sunny Saturday afternoon when no one likes to be outside; and enjoy Frankenstein Meets the Spacemonster with friends. You’ll have tons to make fun of. My favorite character was Dr. Nadir, played by Lou Cuttel. He looks and sounds like Jon Lovitz. I kept expecting him to say, “It stinks!”
I need this soundtrack. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on it, please let me know in the comments.
Lou Cuttel as Dr. Nadir looks and sounds like Jon Lovitz.

No comments: